Email from the School District on March 18th:
Dear Wauwatosa School District Families –
As part of our work to provide students continued learning online during our school closures, which the Governor announced yesterday to have an indefinite end date, we have equipped all District teachers with the option to utilize video conferencing with their students.
What This Means:
- A Video Conferencing App has been added to every student’s District-issued Chromebook. Students may need to log out and log back into their Chromebook for the app to show up.
- Video conferences will NOT occur daily and are optional for teachers. They’re just another tool for teachers when they need to connect with students on a more individual basis or record a video for the class.
How to Know If a Video Conference is Set-Up:
Invitations to join a video meeting will be sent to your child’s District-issued email account when a teacher creates a session.
- Students should check their email on a daily basis.
- Students only need to click the link in the invitation to join a video from their teacher.
Please note: While an invite from a teacher does not create a Zoom account for students, Students WOULD have the ability to do so, allowing them to set up video conferences with anyone. That cannot be blocked. These digital learning opportunities are a partnership between the District and families. We encourage Parents/Guardians to monitor your child’s use of their Chromebook.
STUDENT EMAIL ACCOUNTS
All students in the district now have an email account, so our teachers can send lesson plans. Students JK-2nd grade are not able to send or receive emails from anyone outside of the District.
CHROME BOOK PICKUP OR EXCHANGE
If your child is in need of a District Chromebook, we have additional pick-up times. If your child already has a Chromebook but you believe it is not operating correctly, you may also exchange it. FIRST, we ask you to fill out a help desk ticket so we can confirm whether replacement is needed.
Times and Locations
- Kiosk hours are 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM daily and at different locations. See the link below for details. Your child does NOT need to attend the listed school to pick up or exchange your child’s device.
- Chromebook PickUp/Exchange Hours and Locations
- The PickUp/Exchange times are NOT for troubleshooting.
Please know, these are so that we can best serve families while adhering to guidelines of social distancing to keep everyone safe.
- Absolutely no face to face support will be offered at the kiosk. Technical support is only available through the helpdesk.
- Parents/students will be required to wait outside the main door of each building until they are “buzzed” in. Only one family may enter the building at a time. Please keep 3-6 feet of distance when waiting in line.
- If multiple families enter the building at the same time the kiosk will be closed.
- The school/building will not be accessible for reasons other than device drop off/pickup.
- A tub will be in front of the main office where you or your child can drop off the device being exchanged.
- The replacement device will be given to them through the main office window.
- The parent/student should then directly leave the building so that the next parent/student may enter.
Thank you for your partnership as we work to provide online learning for our students during this difficult time.
Wauwatosa School District